Av. Columbano Bordalo Pinheiro, 57-30 F
1070-061 - Lisboa
Tel: +351 21 722 1810/ Fax: +351 21 726 8059
- 1931 – The Commission of Private Initiative for the Fight Against Cancer was founded by Mécia Mouzinho de Albuquerque, Countess of Murça, by Beatriz Magalhães Colaço and by Maria de Sant’Ana Bénard Guedes.
- 1941 – Portuguese League Against Cancer was created, by proposal from Prof. Francisco Gentil, ordinance nr. 9772 of 4th of April.
- 1965 – Are created the Regional centers (regulated on 18th of January)
- 1985 – The League is acknowledged/recognized as a Public Utility Institution (articles 2nd and 3rd of the Decree-Law 460/77, by dispatch of the Prime Minister on 17-4-85, published in the Republic Diary, II Series, nr.99, of 30th April)
Headquarters and the 5 Regional Centers:
- Nucleo Regional dos Açores
- Nucleo Regional do Centro
- Nucleo Rgional da Madeira
- Nucleo Regional do Norte
- Nucleao Regional do Sul
The Portuguese League Against Cancer is a Cultural and Social Services’ Association.
On going activities
- Clarification Campaigns
- Screening Actions for Breast Cancer
- Support Movements to patients with cancer : Mastectomised (Win and Live), Laryngectomised and Ostomised .
- Hospital Volunteers , comprising areas so different as psico-emotional support, following-up the patient and his family, hairdresser, library, sewing, coffee with milk, flowers, guides, pediatrics, etc..
- Home Care
- Finance support to patients with low income (drugs, transports, other)
- Palliative Care Unit
- “Hunting-Cigarrettes” and “People with no Cigarretes” Clubs (prevention of smoking among youth)
- Cooperation in the Programme Europe Against Cancer One day for Life