Reports to: Director
Type of Contract: Open-ended
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Deadline for applications: 17 January 2021
Starting date: ASAP – February/March 2021, negotiable
About the position
ECL is seeking to hire a dynamic and enthusiastic professional to join our tight-knit team to oversee ECL’s wide-ranging advocacy and policy activities, ensuring that the views of ECL and its members are heard, considered and impactful throughout the EU decision-making process.
The Policy & Project Officer is a pivotal position, providing horizontal support to the ECL secretariat and working closely with ECL’s members to deliver strategic objectives based on ECL’s working groups’ action plans.
The position reports directly to the Director.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
The ECL Policy and Project Officer would be responsible for the following tasks:
• Coordinate ECL Patient Support Working Group and the Access to Medicines Task Force, including (i) organising and attending members meeting, (ii) coordinate follow-up actions (iii) develop strategies and workplans, (iv) draft position papers, reports, answers to public consultations, minutes, and other communication materials for internal and external use.
• Coordinate the MEPs Against Cancer (MAC) interest group at the European Parliament, including organising internal and stakeholders’ meetings and coordinating follow-up, in collaboration with ECL’s Communications & PR Officer.
• Develop and implement ECL advocacy and communication strategies, in collaboration with the ECL Secretariat and members of ECL’s working groups.
• Build relationship with EU stakeholders, across the EU institutions, industry and non-governmental organisations.
• Monitor and analyse relevant EU legislation and policy developments on health and cancer.
• Communicate with ECL members on a regular basis and ensure their priorities are reflected in ECL’s outputs and report back to the ECL’s Director and Executive Board.
• Represent ECL at external meetings and report back to the team.
• Support preparations and report-writing for Board, Annual Meetings and others.
Required qualifications and attributes:
• University level education, preferably in a related field, such as International Relations, European Affairs, Public Health, law, economics or business;
• At least two years of relevant work experience, working with the EU institutions and other stakeholders in Brussels, with an excellent knowledge of EU processes, interactions and the dynamics of EU policy-making;
• Proven ability to analyse, draft and develop positions, coordinating a range of views and collating these into succinct and relevant points of view;
• Experience in forging collaborative working relationships with relevant stakeholders;
• A ‘can-do’ attitude and be a dynamic team-player proactively working with the team, ECL members and collaborators to achieve shared goals;
• The capacity to develop within a fast-paced working environment, being highly organised, with an aptitude in planning effectively to meet deadlines and an ability to work on multiple tasks at the same time;
• Excellent presentation, communication and drafting skills, with a keen attention to detail and commitment to quality;
• Fluent spoken and written English – other EU languages is an asset;
• Excellent computer skills (MS Office required)
• Enjoy being part of a small and dynamic international team;
• Available to travel frequently in Europe;
• Authorised to work in Belgium / EU without requiring a visa.
• Work experience in health, policy and EU Public affairs
• Comfortable with WordPress
• More than a year of experience in policy formulation in a health-related field;
• Experience in drafting policy documents and briefings;
• Fluent in one or more European languages;
• Experience working in the pan-European context;
• In-depth understanding of, and some experience working with the European institutions; and
• Educational background or professional experience in the health field.
What we offer:
• A dynamic and flexible working environment, with the opportunity to take initiative and drive programmes;
• Being part of a dynamic, young and positive spirit team.
• The opportunity to work with EU institutions and leading European and global cancer organisations.
• Experience in EU-oriented advocacy work and exposure to a broad range of cancer-related issues.
• A competitive salary and benefits package as a full-time employee.
Terms of Employment:
The post is full-time (38hr/week) with an open-ended contract. Salary offered will commensurate with experience and be supplemented with extra benefits.
Colleague will normally split time between offices in 1030 Brussels and in 1040 near the EU institutions.
All applicants must be qualified, eligible, and able to work in Belgium without requiring a work visa. We are not able to provide financial assistance to relocate to Brussels.
Send an email to Director (at) europeancancerleagues.org (no telephone calls accepted) with the subject line: Application for (JOB TITLE) – [Your name & surname], including:
1. Cover letter, no more than two A4 pages on your a) motivation, b) summary of qualifications, and c) salary history and/or requirement and d) earliest availability;
2. One-page reflection from the perspective of ECL / an NGO on the pros and cons of the Pharmaceutical Strategy for Europe, and
3. Curriculum vitae, no longer than two A4 pages, with 3 professional references.
Please note: applications that do not follow these instructions will be disregarded.
Deadline for application: 17 January 2021 (12am CET)
Short-listed candidates will be informed by the 25/01, for virtual interviews between 1 and 12 February 2021.
Due to the number of applications, kindly note that we are only able to respond to those with relevant profiles.
Starting date: ASAP – February/March 2021, negotiable.
ECL is a smoke-free workplace, compliant with Belgian regulations.
Part- or Full-Time
Emphasis on Finance and Administrative Skills – Open until filled
Reports To: ECL Director
Conditions: 50% to 100% employment
Start Date: ASAP/January 2021
The Association of European Cancer Leagues (ECL), a pan-European NGO, has an immediate vacancy for a part- or full-time Office Manager. Are you a dynamic and positive person looking to be an important member of a small team? You will support the ECL Secretariat and Board, and work with the ECL Treasurer, external Accountant and Auditor to ensure that we meet financial, administrative and HR legal requirements:
Administrative and Communications Responsibilities
Terms of Employment: Salary offered will commensurate with experience. Office is in 1030 Brussels.
Starting date: 2021, TBC
Forward your application with the following (applications with missing information will not be considered):
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted after the summer. Thank you for your interest.
ECL is a smoke-free workplace, compliant with Belgian regulations. Please forward your application by e-mail: Director (at) europeancancerleagues.org (no telephone calls accepted ).
Applications for our Youth Ambassadors programme are now closed. The next call for applications will open in early 2021.
During 2018-21, ECL is hiring trainees twice a year for a 6-months paid placement through the EU Solidarity Corps. Watch this space and our social media handles for the next call for applications.